Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Watermelon Feta Salad


Summer is so full of fruits and vegetables!  (The one perk of summer---sorry guys!  I'm a fall/winter girl)  Watermelon HAS to be the fruit of summer.  I mean really---who eats watermelon in December?  Exactly!

{I set out the watermelon, turned my back, and found a hunk missing--turns out Ben could eat it 24/7}

No offense--but I get a bit tired of having watermelon straight up or in a fruit salad.  I saw this recipe along with several others, and I decided to give it a whirl!  Ben gave me funny looks, and I am positive that my family chuckled when I told them I was bringing it for our weekly meal.  However, everyone said that it was delicious!  Lesson learned--Don't judge a recipe by it's ingredients!



Watermelon Feta Salad

Serves 4

3 cups watermelon, cubed into bite sized pieces
1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
1/2 cup olives, sliced
1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
1/4 cup fresh mint, chopped
1/4 cup red onion, thinly sliced
3 limes, juiced
1/2 cup olive oil
dash of kosher salt
3/4 teaspoon black pepper

  1. Place first 6 ingredients in a bowl.
  2. Whisk together the lime juice, olive oil, salt and pepper.
  3. Pour dressing over salad.
  4. Toss and serve.
  5. This can be made the night before.  However, the salt and the citrus will draw out the juices in the watermelon so bottom of the bowl will be full of juices. This is normal and will not affect the flavor.
Yup--it's that easy.  If you are still telling me I am off my rocker--go grab some watermelon and just put the dressing on it.  I'm telling you---a different spin on everyday food brightens it up!Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly