Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Sourdough Bread

I am so happy to report that I have been successful in creating a sourdough starter and making homemade sourdough bread!  Not that I doubted myself, but whenever we start something new in life, we get apprehensive (like getting married or redecorating the apartment or learning about the new service culture at work).  Change is good though--you learn who you are through change.

Anyway--Although I never killed the sourdough starter, it did get pretty big!  I made so much starter that I had to make a double loaf!  The bread was great--a little sour--but an excellent start!  Mom suggested that I put the starter in the fridge, and so far the sourness seems to be under control so it will probably stay there.

{My first homemade sourdough loaf!}

{This is the second loaf I made--much better!}

To make the bread, I based it off of the no-knead bread recipe

{See the line at the top?  That's how much starter was made in the first 10 days!}

{Sourdough starter and flour}

Sourdough

Makes 1 medium loaf

3 cups bread flour
2 cups sourdough starter
1/2 cup warm water
  1. Mix flour, starter, and water together.
  2. Let sit for 2 hours in a warm, draft-free place.
  3. Preheat oven to 450; place a Dutch oven in the oven to heat up.
  4. Turn dough out onto a floured surface; fold dough over 6-10 times.
  5. Cover with flour and let rest for 15-20 minutes.
  6. Uncover Dutch oven; place dough in the hot dish and cover with lid.
  7. Bake for 30 minutes covered; then 15-20 minutes uncovered.
  8. Cool completely before slicing.
Slightly sour yet deliciously sweet! I am definitely looking forward to making more!!!

Ben loved the bread, and so did my mom.  I am excited to start making homemade bread once or twice a month.  Next step is to add ingredients like garlic cloves (Ben's suggestion) and making it a wheat sourdough.  I am soooo excited!

Have you tried the no-knead bread recipe?  If you haven't you should because it is VERY easy!

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly