Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Chili

My husband LOVES chili.  It's his favorite food, and he recently made the comment that I don't have to wait for cold weather to make it (yes--I got the hint that he wants it to be an year-round staple).  When I do make it, I make a HUGE pot and freeze half of it so if I can't make dinner one night, he can pull it out and heat it up.

{I snuck some  :o)}

The chili I make is very simple, easy, and quick--exactly how I like it!  I personally couldn't eat it all the time, but I try to make my husband happy (it's the little things).

{Getting everything ready to throw into the pot}

{Rinsing off the beans}

{Adding the spices--if you want it spicier then add more!  Ben loves his chili REALLY hot (hotter than the recipe I will give you)}

{Simmered and ready to consume!}

Chili

Makes 8 servings

Ingredients

2 pounds ground beef or deer (deer is the preferred meat for chili in my house!)
1 onion, chopped
6 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons steak seasoning
2-8 oz cans tomato sauce
2 cans petite diced tomatoes, drained
1 can tomato paste
2 cans kidney beans, drained and rinsed
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
  1. Saute beef, onion, and garlic until done.
  2. Add steak seasoning to beef.
  3. Add remaining ingredients and simmer for 1 hour.
I love the cumin in this recipe--it gives the chili a subtle smoky flavor.  Serve with cornbread and the usual toppings, and you are ready to go!  

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly