Thursday, January 3, 2013

Chicken Shawarma

As I mentioned in my post of favorite local restaurants, I love Mediterranean food, and when I go to Oasis Restaurant, I always have the Chicken Shawarma because it is DELICIOUS!  So when The Shiksha finally figured out how to make chicken shawarma without that roasting spit, I was delighted to try it!  Let me say--it did not disappoint!

{Chicken Shawarma with garlic yogurt sauce}

There are two methods to cook this: oven and grill.  I did the oven, and it was fantastic!  Next time, I will do the grill method which will give it an extra 'smoky' flavor.  I also didn't do the second fry (I was starving and just plumb forgot!), but I will next time!  This recipe was delicious with just the roasting (even the hubby thought so!).

{Spices for the marinade}

{Pouring marinade over the chicken}

{Be careful--tumeric stains VERY easy (yellowish tinge)}

{Let's roast these babies!}

{Mhmmmm....  CHICKEN SHAWARMA is soooooo good!!!}

Chicken Shawarma with Garlic Sauce

Serves 4

Ingredients

2 pounds boneless and skinless chicken breasts or thighs, cut into large chunks
6 tablespoons olive oil
2 teaspoons cumin
2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon all-spice
3/4 teaspoon tumeric
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Yogurt sauce
1 cup plain Greek yogurt
2 cloves garlic, minced
  1. Place chicken in a dish to marinate.
  2. Mix together the remaining ingredients and pour over chicken making sure marinade coats all sides of the chicken.
  3. Marinate overnight.
  4. Oven method: Preheat oven to 400. Line a baking sheet with foil (tumeric is a pain to clean!) and spray with non-stick spray. Place chicken pieces on baking sheet and roast for 20 minutes, turning after 10 minutes of cooking.
  5. Grill method: Preheat grill and spray with non-stick spray. Skewer the chicken and grill for 20 minutes turning every 5 minutes.
  6. No matter which method was used, allow chicken to cool slightly before cutting into small bite-size pieces.
  7. Saute chicken in a pan with hot oil for 2-3 minutes or until outsides are brown and crisp.
  8. To make the yogurt sauce, mix yogurt, garlic and salt and pepper to taste until well combined.
  9. Serve chicken with yogurt sauce.
Yes--I know what you are thinking--CINNAMON?  This woman is CRAZY!!!  I promise, I thought that exact same thing!  I did it though, and you could barely tell it was in there (if at all!).  Just do it--I promise it will be good!

Note:  Some spices are not worth buying in bulk because you don't use them frequently and are expensive especially if you end up throwing them away.  Spices should be kept in a cool, dry place away from sunlight and kept for no more than 1 year.  Many health food stores, or even some grocery stores, carry bulk spices so you can only get what you need, and usually at cheaper prices.  I don't keep large amounts of most spices unless I use them frequently. 

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly