Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Salted Brown Butter Crispy Treats

I have never been a big fan of rice crispy treats--they are sticky and bland.  I'd rather have a chocolate bar!  However, as I was looking through the smitten kitchen cookbook, I saw her variation on rice crispy treats, and I thought I'd give it a try.  My mom gave me some marshmallows that needed using (not a big fan of marshmallows either....), and I had nothing else to do with them.  This recipe, let me tell you, WOW!!!  I LOVE THESE CRISPY TREATS!!!!  The browned butter and salt pair unbelievably well!  My mom tried them (almost mawled me to take them home with her) and BEGGED me to make more for her Super Bowl party!

{Soooo DELICIOUS!!!!}

{Melt butter}

{Slowly brown the butter because it goes quick!}

{Browned butter}

{Add salt and then marshmallows}

{Add rice cereal--brown rice cereal can be used too!}

{Spray wax paper with non-stick spray and press the rice crispies into the pan--be careful because they will be hot!}

Salted Brown Butter Crispy Treats

Serves 16

Ingredients

1 stick unsalted butter, plus more to butter pan
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
10 oz mini marshmallows
6 cups puffed rice cereal
  1. Butter an 8 inch square pan (bottom and sides).  Spray wax paper with non-stick spray.
  2. Melt butter in a large pot over medium-low heat; it will foam, turn clear golden, and then smell nutty.
  3. Stir frequently once butter smells nutty; DO NOT WALK AWAY because it only takes a minute or two until it gets brown.
  4. Once brown, turn off heat, add salt, and stir. 
  5. Add marshmallows and stir; the residual heat should melt them, but if not, turn back heat to low until smooth.
  6. Add rice cereal; folding until cereal is evenly coated.
  7. Pour mixture into butter pan.
  8. Take paper and press mixture into pan; the mixture will be hot so be careful!
  9. Cool; use a serrated knife to cut treats into 16 sqaures.
Share because a diet will get into SERIOUS trouble with these!  (YES MOM I SAID SHARE!!!)  I haven't tried them with chocolate coating or anything...  Because, honestly, I will have to get over how delicious they are on their own first! 
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly