Thursday, February 14, 2013

Spaghetti with Greens and Lemon

Growing up in a more rural part of the state than I did, Ben loves eating greens like mustard, collard and turnip.  Since I ask him to try new foods all the time, I try foods that he grew up with including dandelion, catfish, turtle, and (when-I-finally-man-up-and-kill) squirrel.  I saw this recipe in Whole Living Magazine and knew that it was too easy not to try!  Plus, greens are very healthy!

{Good for you greens!}

{Getting everything ready to go}

{Although vegetarian originally, I added chicken for the husband}

{Simmering greens and sauce}

{Use whole grain pasta to make this extra healthy!}

{Before adding some parmesan cheese}


Spaghetti with Greens and Lemon

Serves 2

Ingredients

2 tablespoons olive oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon chili flakes
1 pound chicken, cubed
1 can mixed greens, drained
1 lemon, zested and juiced
Spaghetti, cooked
Parmesan (optional)
1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted (optional)
  1. Heat oil in a skillet; add garlic, chili flakes and chicken. Cook through.
  2. Add greens, zest, and juice.
  3. Add cooked pasta to greens mixture and stir to coat.
  4. Serve with parmesan and pine nuts if desired.
This meal is healthy, cheap, and easy--some of my favorite things!  Do you eat greens like spinach, kale, collard, turnip or mustard greens?  I used mixed greens because that's what we like, but you can definitely highlight and use just one!

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly