Thursday, March 7, 2013

Feijoada (Brazilian Black Bean Stew)

So I had this date planned for my husband and I, but life got in the way (at least I let it...).  Work got crazy stressful, and at the end of the day, I just wanted to go home and relax.  I was going to "take" him to Rio de Janeiro for a mock Carnival on Fat Tuesday; I had the masks and beads already, but I didn't plan much else.  I did make a traditional Brazilian dish for us though--that counts right?  (Yes I know I am a horrible wife...) so yeah....  At least he loved the food--that's good!

{Feijoada--traditional Brazilian Black Bean Stew}

{Putting baked bacon and ham in the Dutch oven}

{Adding peppers and mushrooms}

I guess I forgot to take pictures of the soup before it was in the bowl--I plead temporary insanity during that time.  I'm kinda lucky I remembered my name and where I was going (if I even did...).

Feijoada (Brazilian Black Bean Stew)

Serves 4

Ingredients

8 oz country ham, diced
1 pound bacon, diced
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
6 cloves garlic, minced
1 pint mushrooms, chopped 
2 peppers, chopped (how to cut here)
2 bay leaves
6 cups chicken broth
1/8 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon dried parsley
2-15 oz cans black beans, drained and rinsed
2 tablespoons fresh cilantro

  1. Preheat oven to 375.
  2. Place ham and bacon in a baking dish and bake until crispy about 15-20 minutes.
  3. Meanwhile, heat oil in a pan; add onions and garlic and saute until tender.
  4. Add mushrooms and peppers; cook through.
  5. Add ham and bacon to the pan along with the remaining ingredients except cilantro.
  6. Simmer for 1 hour or until beans are tender.
  7. Add cilantro and serve.
Do you do any theme cooking?  For instance, corned beef and cabbage around St Patrick's Day?  Please share!

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly