Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Quinoa Pizza Bites

In my endeavor to not eat gluten, one food I miss the most is pizza.  I love pizza, especially a good homemade pizza in about an hour, but I am TRYING to be good!  Soooo I was looking around on Pinterest one day, and I found a recipe for Quinoa Pizza Bites.  I was intrigued; the recipe looked easy, and it was gluten free so I gave it a shot.  Although this doesn't taste like real pizza, it does hit that craving when I get it!  These are pretty tasty, and they are a bit healthier than having a real pizza.

{They hit the spot for a pizza craving!  I have to fight my husband for them...}

{Adding onions and garlic}

{Make sure to cool the quinoa before adding cheese!}

{Add egg last to make sure the seasonings are right for the pizza bites}

{Stir until well combined}

{Fill each cup to the top because these will not rise}

Quinoa Pizza Bites

Makes 40 mini-muffin bites

2 cups cooked quinoa
1 cup onion, chopped
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons dried basil
1 cup pepperoni, chopped
1 teaspoon of paprika
1 teaspoon dried oregano
3 eggs, scrambled
Pizza sauce (dipping)
  1. Preheat oven to 350.
  2. Mix together all ingredients except eggs.  Taste and season with salt and pepper.
  3. Add eggs and stir until combined.
  4. Place 1 heaping tablespoon of quinoa mixture into each mini-muffin cup and press down gently to compact.
  5. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until tops start to turn golden brown.
  6. Cool and freeze for future cravings.
  7. Serve with pizza sauce for dipping.
I froze most of these after they cooled so I would have quick dinners (or snacks) when I needed them.  They freeze and reheat well which is fantastic! 

What do you do when you have cravings for 'junk food'?  Do you just ignore it?  Or do you try to substitute it?  Or do you just give in?

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly