Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Spice It UP!!! Cinnamon

I bet that when I said "cinnamon" your mind instantly went to fall and sweet treats.  Was I wrong?  I didn't think so.  Cinnamon is native to tropical regions, and they use it in meats and savory dishes too!  This concept was mind-blowing, especially when I had a few recipes where I mentally thought "there is no way this is going to taste good with the cinnamon in it!"  I am so happy that I was completely wrong!  Anyway--on to cinnamon!


Cinnamon comes from the inner bark of a tropical, evergreen tree and harvested during the rainy season.  Then it is dried into its characteristic curl.  There are two types of cinnamon--cassia (used mostly in the US) and ceylon (considered the best). source

Cinnamon has several wonderful health benefits.  Cinnamon has anti-clotting and anti-microbial properties; plus, it has been proven to reduce blood sugar.  Some people say the scent even improves brain function! source source

However, taking the cinnamon challenge is NOT good for you.  The challenge is to eat 1 tablespoon of ground cinnamon in 60 seconds without water.  It can't be done, and you will be injured trying so please don't!  (even if you are drunk!)

I have always loved the smell of cinnamon.  That typically means it is fall, my favorite time of the year.  However, with this blog I have been branching out of my comfort zone and trying it in more savory dishes.  My husband even loves the dishes with cinnamon (not that I think he realizes it LOL).  Don't worry though!  I have made plenty of sweet cinnamon recipes!

The following recipes contain cinnamon:

Apple-Cranberry Bars
Chicken Shawarma
Chicken Vindaloo
Cinnamon Roll Bread
Lebkuchen (German Gingerbread)
Middle Eastern Garlic Chicken
Roasted Apple Spice Cupcakes
Spiced Cider
Spiced Oatmeal Cookies

Have you ever tried cinnamon in a savory dish?  Did you even know it was there without someone telling you?

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly