Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Fresh, Old-Fashioned, Homemade Lemonade

Lemonade=Summertime.  Yes, that is a true statement.  There is no question and no reason.  It's also the perfectly refreshing addition to any July 4th BBQ. 

So my hubby and I are slightly obsessed with lemonade.  The man eats lemons like an orange for goodness sake's!!!  (seriously--I wish I was lying)  So this summer, I vowed to perfect a homemade lemonade recipe because we usually just guess until it tastes about right.  Sometimes we get it right, sometimes it's too watery.  I found this Anne of Green Gables recipe, and with three ingredients and about 20 minutes of time, I had a feeling this would be "the one".  OH. MY. GOODNESS.....  There are no words to describe the unbelievable flavor of this drink.  I made this 3 times in the last week alone!!!  Just go make it, and you will see for yourself!!!

{This pitcher was gone in about 3 hours}

{Make a simple syrup first with sugar and water}

{Heat until sugar dissolves then allow to boil for another 5 minutes}

{Juice six lemons and zest one (I used organic since I was going to zest one)}

{After the simple syrup is made, add lemon juice and lemon zest (zest is the yellow on the left)}

{Just writing this makes me want to get up and make a fourth batch!!!!!}

One year ago: Lemonade Popsicles (how ironic)

Old-Fashioned Lemonade

Makes 1/2 gallon

1 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups water
1 1/2 cups fresh lemon juice (about 6 lemons)
1 lemon, zested
Garnish (optional--lemon slices, mint leaves, etc)
Fruit like strawberries, raspberries or blackberries to make flavored lemonade (optional)
  1. Heat sugar and water in a saucepan until sugar dissolves.
  2. Boil syrup for another 5 minutes.
  3. Juice 5 lemons.
  4. Zest the last lemon and then juice (it's easier).
  5. Add lemon juice and zest when syrup is done boiling.
  6. Cool the lemon syrup to room temperature.
  7. If you don't like 'floaties' in your lemonade, cool the syrup overnight in the fridge and then strain it.  If you don't care, continue on.
  8. Pour syrup in a 1/2 gallon pitcher and fill the rest with ice and/or water. 
  9. Serve and repeat because it's not sticking around long!
If you are adding fruit, you can either puree the fruit or muddle it in the bottom of the glass before adding the lemonade--after you chug the first three glasses that is!

Being me, I did try to use the bottled lemon juice (you know-from concentrate), and it was not nearly as tasty.  Don't get me wrong--good but not the oh-my-goodness-this-is-to-die-for-delicious.  So please, don't cheat yourself!  Use real lemons! 

Come back tomorrow for another July 4th BBQ recipe that's super easy!  Hint: it involves a grill and corn!

Are there any July 4th BBQ essentials in your house?  I'd love to hear them!

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly