Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Lazy Pizza Dough

It has been an insane October!  I won't bore you with details, but let's just say lots of stuff happened at work.  Plus my brother was in town!  When I wasn't working, I was hanging out with my brother.  One of my favorite food bloggers posted a recipe for lazy pizza dough, and wouldn't you know, my mom, brother and I were trying to figure out what to do that Friday night so I saw it and said "I'm making you guys pizza".  They didn't complain.

{Chicken Alfredo Pizza and red wine}

This was unbelievably lazy!  Just mix four ingredients together, and place the dough in a warm spot to rise.  I mean--you really can't get anymore lazy than buying dough from the store.  The bonus is that I had everything on hand to make it including homemade pizza sauce I made in bulk with leftover tomatoes from the season and froze.  Okay so we did have to buy the topping ingredients, but that's the fun part!

{I used bread flour, but all-purpose can be used instead}

{Blooming the yeast}

{Mix dough}

{This was the week it started cooling off so I would not turn on the heat and open the windows so the warmest place for me was in the oven with the door propped open.  This creates an insulated, warm place for the dough to rise!}

{It's ALIVE!!!}

{Stir dough with a spoon}

{Lay flour on the counter and press out while the pizza stone warms}

{Chicken Alfredo Pizza and Pepperoni with Peppers and Mushrooms Pizza (someone ate a corner while it was still hot.... Crazies)}

Unfortunately, it took all of us to press the pizza onto the hot stone, sauce it, and top it so I didn't get pictures.  This dough can be made 24 hours in advance or just 12 hours.  The only difference is the yeast amount.  I have done both times this past week with excellent results!  Which is good and bad because now I know how easy it is to make homemade pizza.....

One year ago:  Spiced Cider

Lazy Pizza Dough
adapted from smitten kitchen

Makes 1 pizza (doubles easily for two)

1 1/4 cups warm water, plus extra on the side
Yeast: 24 hour dough 1/2 packet yeast or 12 hour dough 1 packet
3 cups bread or all-purpose flour (up to half can be whole wheat flour)
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
Cornmeal
  1. Add yeast to warm water and let sit about 5 minutes.
  2. Mix flour and salt in a large bowl.
  3. Add yeast mixture to flour and stir to combine.  Dough should be slightly tacky when it is completely mixed together.  If not, add more warm water 1 tablespoon at a time until dough gets tacky.  Don't stress about it though because this dough is very forgiving.
  4. Let dough rise in a warm place for 12-24 hours.
  5. When dough has completed rising, stir with a spoon to deflate.
  6. Preheat oven to 500 with the pan you are using to bake the pizza on.
  7. Gather your pizza sauce and topping ingredients.  This pizza bakes quickly so make sure that any veggies or meat you have are pre-cooked.
  8. Turn dough out onto a floured surface, and with floured hands, start to stretch the dough to the shape and size of the pan.
  9. Once oven has reached 500, take out pan and sprinkle with cornmeal.
  10. Place dough on hot pan and press out as far as you can.  BE CAREFUL AS THE PAN IS HOT!!!
  11. Spread sauce and toppings on pizza.  Do this as quick as possible because the pizza is already cooking on the bottom.
  12. Place pizza bake in the oven.
  13. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until cheese is browned.
  14. Serve.
So now that you have this lazy pizza dough recipe, how many of you will add this to your monthly dinner list?  That's what I thought because I surely will!  Want to try a lazy bread recipe?  Head here!

PS--Only have a few hours?  Head over to get my Rush Hour Pizza recipe which gets you from ingredients to pizza in about 2 hours!

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly