Monday, November 4, 2013

Chicken and Fennel Stew

It's fall!!!  And it's getting cold outside!!!  I've heard that it's going to be a cold winter, but I am ready with a ton of crock-pot recipes so I come home to a warm meal!

{Chicken and Fennel Stew}

{My grocery store labelled fennel "anise".  It's the same thing just two different names}

{Prepping for the crock-pot}

{Side view}

{Rice that soaked overnight}

{Yes, that's my two gallon crock-pot throwing up.  This stew makes a rather large amount!  That's good for sharing though}


Chicken and Fennel Stew
adapted from this recipe

Makes 2 gallons or 10 servings

1/2 cup rice, pre-soaked and drained
1 fennel (anise) bulb, diced
1 medium onion, diced
1 cup carrots, diced
2 parsnips, peeled and diced
1/2 cup celery, diced
1 pint mushrooms, quartered
1/2 head of a small cabbage, shredded
6 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 pounds, skinless chicken thighs
2 cups chicken broth
4 cups apple cider
1 cinnamon stick
1 can northern beans
Spinach, optional
Parmesan cheese, optional
  1. Place all ingredients, except spinach and cheese, in a crock-pot.
  2. Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
  3. Add spinach and cook for 1 hour, if using.
  4. Season to taste.
  5. Serve with cheese if desired.
I was unable to add spinach, but I would have if I had the room!  I wilted mine and had it on the side.  I forgot to get a picture with the cheese on top because I snapped a picture at work, and I am lucky that I remembered to do that!

Do you have any recipes that you are excited to try with the cold weather?

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly