Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Seared Steak with Braised Leeks and Kale

Here lately, I've been on a caramelization kick (browning all edges on food).  I just happened to come across this recipe last week, and I knew immediately that I wanted to make it.  The only problem--I couldn't find raw Swiss Chard at my local grocery store.  Not one to panic, I substituted kale instead and all was well. 

{Seared Steak with Braised Leeks and Kale}

{Cutting leeks.  You only want to cut the white and light green parts--the dark green parts are bitter and tough!}

{Searing steak--these were pork steaks.  My hubby didn't label the bags he put the meat in so I've gotten plenty of surprises!}

{Caramelizing the leeks}

{Add white wine and broth}

{Add the kale and wilt}

{Place steaks on a plate and serve braised leeks and kale on top}

 
{Served with Roasted Cauliflower with Brown Butter Crumbs (coming tomorrow!)}


Seared Steak with Braised Leeks and Kale
adapted from My Recipes

Serves 4

1 tablespoon olive oil
4 beef tenderloin steaks
2 tablespoons butter
2 teaspoons whole grain mustard
2 cups leeks, thinly sliced
1/4 cups dry white wine
3/4 cups beef broth
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
2 cups kale, cleaned and de-ribbed
  1. Preheat oven to 350.
  2. Season steaks with salt and pepper.
  3. In a cast iron skillet, heat olive oil until hot.
  4. Add steaks and sear on each side until browned.
  5. Place steaks in a greased baking dish and place in the oven to cook until desired temperature is reached (or turn the oven to 150 to keep them warm).
  6. Add butter to cast iron skillet and heat until melted; then add whole grain mustard and heat until seeds begin to pop in the pan.
  7. Add leeks and cook 5 minutes or until browned on the edges.
  8. Add wine and cook about 1 minutes (de-glaze pan).
  9. Add broth and Worcestershire sauce and cook until liquid reduced in half.
  10. Add kale and cook until wilted, about 3 minutes.
  11. Season leek mixture with salt and pepper.
  12. Serve steak topped with braised leeks and kale.
I love this dish especially since I had extra braised leeks and kale which has been going into my wraps for lunch this week!

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly