Monday, March 30, 2015

black rice pudding

A friend of mine asked for a rice pudding recipe, and I immediately thought of this recipe.  Not only is it easy to make, healthy and delicious, but using black rice and coconut milk gives it that step up from the ordinary and a flair of international cuisine (fitting all of my criteria).  I made this in culinary school, and it has been a favorite of mine ever since.

{looks weird, but tastes AMAZING!}

black rice pudding

makes 8 servings

2 cups black rice (also called forbidden or purple rice and can be found at health food or Asian stores)
4 cups coconut milk (might need more or water can be used)
1/4 cup brown sugar (more if you want it sweeter)
Toasted coconut flakes (optional)
  1. Cook rice and coconut milk until rice is mushy, about 1 hour.
  2. Stir in sugar until melted.  If you want it sweeter, add more.
  3. Serve warm with toasted coconut flakes (highly recommended as the crunch is a good foil to the tender rice)
I took this to work, and everyone loved it (only one person said it was "okay", but he was reluctant to try it--glad he did though!) especially the Japanese that I work with.  Many asked for seconds, but I didn't have any.  Then they asked for the recipe.  That always make me feel good :o)


Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly