Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Dublin coddle

Another Irish recipe as an option for your St. Patrick's Day celebration is this Dublin coddle. According to the recipe notes:
"This traditional supper dish of sausages, bacon, onions and potatoes dates back at least as far as the early eighteenth century. It seems to be more of a city dish than a rural one; it was a favorite of Jonathan Swift, author of Gulliver's Travels and dean of Christ Church Cathedral in Dublin.... The name of the dish is probably descended from the older word caudle, derived from a French word meaning "to boil gently, parboil, or stew"...Serve with Guinness and Irish soda bread. Although this is an easy to prepare one pot meal and its simplicity belies its amazing taste and flavor - comfort food at its best!"
Comfort food at its best is the perfect description for this meal; The Hubby and I have a new favorite obsession!  I've made this before according to the recipe for a crock-pot, and I wasn't impressed.  I decided to give it another try on the stove, and I am so glad that I did!  I bit into it and about melted from joy.  It was what I had been craving without know it.  I mean, can you really go wrong with potatoes, onions, bacon and sausage! (Side note:  I didn't get around to making soda bread this year, but it's already on the list for next year!)

  {Dublin coddle}

Dublin coddle
{use a good quality bacon and sausage product; use your favorite too while you're at it.  I bought my meat from a KY Proud farmer}

one year ago:  roasted sweet potato salad

Dublin coddle
adapted from www.food.com

makes 6 servings

1 pound bacon (local favorite), diced
1 pound sausage links (local favorite), diced
2 onions, sliced
2 pounds potatoes (local), diced
2 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
  1. Heat a pot up to medium.
  2.  Add bacon and cook until browned.
  3. Add sausage links and onions to bacon; cook until browned.
  4. Add potatoes and broth.
  5. Boil potatoes until tender about 40 minutes.
  6. Season with pepper (you shouldn't need salt).
  7. Serve topped with parsley, bread, and Guinness (please drink responsibly!).
{a beloved and true proverb}

Sláinte! (cheers/good health)

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly